The exterior of your home, your concrete patio and your car are just some of the things that take a lot of beating from the harsh weather and elements. Grime, mud, dirt and other debris accumulate fast on these surfaces and they require a thorough cleaning.
When it comes to tough cleaning jobs, nothing else can do it better than pressure washers. A pressure washer is the best tool to use for getting rid of all the dirt in sight. The amount of pressure it employs makes it an effective solution for cleaning even the toughest grime.
If you are considering getting a pressure washer, it’s essential to know what you are exactly looking for. It’s a good idea to have some knowledge about the machine so that you can use it to its full potential. Read on to learn some basics about pressure washers.
How pressure washers work
Pressure washers work by connecting them to your existing water supply. Some models have the ability to store water through their tanks. An engine pressurizes the water and release it at high speed. This makes the water powerful enough to easily wash away even the stubborn dirt and debris.
You can start and stop the water stream by using the button near the nozzle of the pressure washer. There are also some models which allow users to adjust the water pressure according to their preference.
Pressure washers are primarily used for cleaning. They have the ability to take away all the dirt and grime so that surfaces can look brand new. Other types of pressure washers allow the users to mix water with chemicals or sand to remove old paint.
Types of pressure washers
There are various types of pressure washers that you can choose from. And it’s important to learn the differences between each type so you can choose the one that fits your needs best.
Gas powered pressure washer
- Gas powered pressure washers are highly recommended for quick cleaning of large areas. It allows you to clean a dirty and grimy concrete patio faster than any other tool. If there’s any downside to choosing a gas powered washer, it is the fact that it is a lot heavier and also noisier. This type also requires you to do a lot of tune-ups, fuel mixing, and pull-starting.
Electric pressure washer
- Electric pressure washers are best used for cleaning patios, small decks and for doing lighter-duty jobs. They are quieter and lighter compared to gas powered pressure washers. They are easy to start and stop because it has a trigger you can pull. It is also small enough to be stored in your home.
Mini power washers
- Mini power washers are your best bet if you are working on smaller projects. It’s also an excellent choice if you have a very limited space that can’t accommodate a larger pressure washer. These washers can be used for cleaning cars, patios, decks, driveways and more.
High pressure washers
- Compared to mini power washers, high pressure washers are definitely larger. They are also more heavy duty. They are a best fit for taking off dirt, grime and even oil. And because they are gas powered, they can be used practically anywhere.
- Self-contained washer can hold water with the help of its large tank. This is an excellent machine for when you have to work in places where there is no water supply. These models also usually include an extension hose to allow you to access other areas.
Some tips for using pressure washer properly
- A good rule of thumb: Use the broadest nozzle with the lowest pressure that will allow you to do an adequate cleaning
- When you clean vertical surfaces, you need to start washing from the bottom up. Rinsing should be done from the top down
- Prevent damage by holding the tip of the nozzle above the surface you are cleaning
- Always keep the nozzle moving
Pressure washers make the tough job of cleaning stubborn dirt an easy one. They are indeed your best friend when it comes to cleaning any surface. Looking for the best place to get pressure washer service and repair? Please visit Greg’s Small Engine.